Saturday, August 13, 2011

Why do parents hate computers so much?

This is the question I want answered.

I honestly do not understand what the big deal is? I think that parents have a stereotypical view of their kids on computers: that they just sit there and do nothing.

Parents are constantly nagging their children to read and get off the computer and read , but in reality, 90 percent of being on a computer is reading, wether is be reading a friends status on facebook, a blog, or doing research. Kids are reading, just in a different way than reading a novel.

Even other sites like youtube. I would say that I spend about 75 percent of my time on the computer watching videos, videos on whatever. Whether it be a commentary over a gameplay, strategy, montages, vlogs, updates, news, and much more.  I mean, I am subscribed to over 300 channels, all of which  watch.

Computers are also the way of the future. My parents always say "well I used to call people." But why call friends when you can talk to them face to face over the internet?  Is talking face to face not better than talking on the phone?

Parents also have a stereotypical view on video games in general. This is the thing that drives me crazy the most as a gamer.  Why do parents think that all one does is kill, kill, kill in video games? Do they not realize the amount of strategy and time memorizing where things are? Do they not realize the amount of teamwork is required to win? Do they not realize that it is not "melting our brains" and instead working them?

Not only that, but when a person games it is a sense of accomplishment. Why? Well because when I started in games I was terrible, but now I am much better than I was, And I am still working to get better and try to be better than the other team.

Shooter games also have things that parents do not realize. A person who is a Pro gamer at say Battlefield, will have faster reaction times and more control over his fingers. Or a pro gamer at Starcraft will have really good multi-tasking.

But non shooters like Starcraft 2 are games that... parents never notice. Starcraft is a Real time strategy game. RTS is when you face an opponent, and you react to what your opponent does. Except while doing that you build things. These games are in my opinion more of working your mind than anything else, because if your opponent builds something, you need to instantly think of a counter to what he is doing.

2 comments:

  1. because parents are jealous and don't understand that you spend most of the time on research

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. the way I learned calculus was by looking up on google

      Delete